FULL NAME: Soundarya Kumar Pradhan
BORN: December 13, 1999
PERMANENT ADDRESS: Sativata (Near Padampur), Bargarh, Odisha, India.
PRESENT ADDRESS: C/o Rabi Ranjan Pradhan, Lecturer, Biju Patnaik College, Boden, Nuapada-766111, Odisha.
FAMILY: Father (Rabi Ranjan Pradhan, Odia lecturer), mother (Jayanti Pradhan) and elder brother Prachurya Pradhan (also a blind chess player).
EDUCATION: Plus-Two science student of Biju Patnaik College, Boden, Nuapada. Earlier studied at Boden Government High School.
RECEIVED COACHING FROM: Durga Prasad Mahapatra, Sekhar Chandra Sahu, Kesha Ranjan Pradhan.
HOBBY: Music and reading science.
IDOL: Soundarya: Viswanathan Anand
* Finished runner-up in the chess event of the Special Olympics for Physically Challenged at Bhubaneswar On December 7, 2010.
* Finished runner-up in the East Zone Chess Championship for Blind at Bhubaneswar on April 29, 2012.
* Qualified for the Visually Challenged Chess Olympiad by finishing fifth in the 12th National `A’ Chess Championship for Visually Challenged, held at Dharavi, Mumbai from March 3 to 11, 2017.
* Bagged the title in the National `B’ Chess Championship for the Blind, which concluded at Manipal University in Karnataka on Dec 30, 2015.
* Finished runner-up in the Fide Rated Chess Tournament for the Blind at Nagercoil in Tamil Nadu on March 3, 2015.
* Finished runner-up in the National Open Fide Rated Chess Tournament for the Blind, held at Nabadwip in West Bengal from Dec 27 to 30, 2013.
* Finished 4th in the KIIT Cup AICFB National `A` Chess Championship for the Blind at KIIT Campus in Bhubaneswar on Feb 1, 2013.
* Finished eighth in the KIIT Cup National B Chess Championship for the Blind at Bhubaneswar on Dec 30, 2012.
* Finished as the best U-13 player in the Junior National Chess Championship for Blind at Mumbai on January 29, 2012.
* Emerged champion in the All-India Fide Rating Chess Tournament for the Blind at Hyderabad on June 3, 2012.
* Won the bronze medal in the IBCA Asian Chess Championship for Visually Challenged, held at Manipal University, Udupi, Karnataka from March 23 to 31, 2017.
* Finished 70th with 3.5 points in the 13th IBCA World Individual Chess Championship for Blind and Visually Impaired, held at Katerini in Greece from May 5 to 14, 2014.
* Finished 12th among a total of 21 players in the World Junior Chess Championship for the Blind and Visually Impaired, which concluded at Belgrade (Serbia) on August 31, 2013.
* Gained 10 rating points while representing India in the 7th World Blind Team Chess Championship at Zaragoza, Spain from June 11 to 22, 2013.
OTHER IMPORTANT DATA:
* Played first tournament at Bhubaneswar in 2008.
* His uncle Kesha Ranjan Pradhan, who has represented Orissa in the National-B chess championship, initiated him into chess at the age of four years.
* He has Lebers Congenital Amaurosis (LCA), a disease genetically passed through families and people with this disease are born blind.
* Became the youngest Fide rated blind chess player of India with elo 1515.
* In his school exhibition, he demonstrated Dutch astronomer Jan Oort’s 1950 discovery of Oort Cloud, which proved that comets come from a common region of the solar system.
* He has keen interest in astronomy.
* Wants to become a physics professor and a world champion in chess.
* Like his brother, he is good in music, plays digital piano beautifully and sings film songs nicely.
PROFILE FIRST UPLOADED: June 4, 2012
PROFILE LAST UPDATED: April 1, 2017